View all facilities

East End Park

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3

Features

  1. Athletic Field
  2. Baseball / Softball - Adult
  3. Basketball
  4. Field Lights
  5. Grill
  6. Parking Lot
  7. Picnic Shelter
  8. Picnic Tables
  9. Playground (Ages 5-12)
  10. Restrooms
  11. Sprayground
  12. Tennis Courts
  13. Water Fountain
Visit the picnic shelter rentals page for complete details on renting the shelter at East Durham Park.

East End Park offers a free sprayground where area residents can cool off during warm weather. The sprayground is open May-October.

History


The East End neighborhood was developed from former farmland in the late 1890s to provide homes for Durham's growing number of industrial workers. The City also located buildings here, including the distinctive 1925 stone and mortar building at the corner of Gilbert Street and North Alston Avenue that started as a stable for the City's fire engine horses.

In 1932, local philanthropists John Sprunt Hill and Annie Watts Hill donated land along Goose Creek to form the two parks that are today known as East End Park and Long Meadow Park. East End received funding in 1949 with a picnic structure/restroom building. In the mid-1950s, the E.D. Mickle Community Center was built in East End Park (Mickle was a trustee on the board of the first African-American library in Durham). The Community Center is no longer open for programming, but both East End Park and Long Meadow Park have received significant renovations over the years, including ball fields, tennis courts, basketball courts, a sprayground, and playgrounds.