Outdoor Rental Procedures
CCB Plaza, Event Fields & Trails, Campsites, and Picnic Shelters
1. Facilities are available for rental subject to schedules of pre-existing programs, events, classes and / or other activities. Durham Parks and Recreation (DPR) reserves the right to deny any application.
2. Once a request is made for use of a DPR facility, a 10-day hold will be placed on the proposed date(s) of use. On or before the 10th day DPR must receive all required payments. If the payment is not received by the 10th day, the requested date will be reopened to the public without notice to the requesting parties.
- Picnic Shelters and Campsites: If a rental is in less than 10 days from the reservation all fees must be paid no later than the Tuesday before the event.
- Plazas and Event Fields & Trails: All fees are due 30 days in advance of the rental.
- If the reservation is requested less than 30 days prior to the event, rentals are not guaranteed and all fees must be paid in full at the time of request.
- Renters may change an application for permit information (i.e. times, estimated attendance, etc.) up to 14 days prior to requested date. At 14 days prior to requested date, information provided on the application for permit will become binding; all information provided must be accurate.
3. Renters must provide accurate contact information including: address, phone numbers and a day-of contact phone number.
4. The use fee or deposit will not be refunded for cancellations less than 15 days prior to the requested date of use. Application fees are non-refundable.
5. The City of Durham and other agencies, government or private, may require other permits, security services or equipment for the activity. Acquisition of these extra services and equipment is the renter’s responsibility and expense.
- Special Event Permits: All events open to the public, events on plazas, event fields and trails and events with amplified music, street closures, jump houses and tents will be required to get a Special Events Permit from the Durham Police Department. All other events needing a Special Events Permit will be determined on a case by case basis.
- Security, paid for by the renter, may be required. Please see the Security section in this document for more details.
- A Certificate of Liability Insurance may be required. Please see the Insurance section for additional details.
6. All trash must be bagged and disposed of in receptacles provided. If trash cans will not be adequate for disposal, it is the renter’s responsibility to remove and dispose of excess trash offsite.
7. Possession and consumption of Alcoholic Beverages is prohibited. (Except as approved by City Ordinance Sec. 38-21). General liability insurance with an alcohol/liquor rider for at least one million dollars, naming the City of Durham as an additional insured is required. Alcohol is only permitted at the Plazas.
8. Police Security is required for all teen events, public dances, events with ticket sales or charging an entrance fee, when serving alcohol and events with over 100 people in attendance. Renters must contact Officer Monte Sutherland at (919) 943-7370 to arrange security.
9. Renter may not sublet the space to another group or individual.
10. Your Permit does not entitle you to exclusive use of the park, only the designated area*. All other areas of the park must remain open to the public. (i.e. parking lots, restrooms, etc.). *Events on trails must allow access to public trail users at all times.
11. Parking is allowed in designated parking areas only. No motorized vehicles are allowed on the grass or pathways! This includes unloading of supplies and any event set-up that is required.
12. Restrooms: Renters are responsible for providing restroom facilities (i.e. portable toilets) during any rental time longer than two hours if on-site restrooms are not available for any reason. Provisions must meet the minimum industry standards for the size and type of event planned. Renters must provide restrooms for plaza events.
13. Renters are responsible for the set-up, breakdown and logistical coordination of the event. Water, electricity and other needs should be carefully considered when selecting your event location as these services are not available at all facilities.
Special Event Permits
A City of Durham Special Event Permit issued by the Durham Police Department may be required. Events with street closures, impacts on traffic, amplified sound, food or merchandise sales, inflatable amusement rides, etc. will be required to obtain a special event permit. Additional information and the application are available on the Durham Police Department website.
Security services, if required, will be determined by the Durham Police Department for all events. Renters are responsible for contacting the Durham Police Department to schedule officers. The fee, paid for by the renter, is due in cash, to the officer(s) at the beginning of the event. If you have any questions regarding this requirement you may contact Officer Monte Sutherland at (919) 943-7370. In the event of cancellation, it is the renter’s responsibility to cancel security services 3 days (72 hours) prior to the event. Failure to do so will result in the full payment to the security officers at the Police Department’s established rate.
Renters are responsible for the provision, collection, and removal of all trash and recycling for your event. Renters may contact Larrisha McGill at (919) 560-4186 of the Solid Waste Department to schedule services.
A certificate of liability insurance may be required for events. This insurance must show that general liability insurance for at least one million dollars per occurrence, naming the City of Durham as an additional insured. Events providing bounce houses, serving alcohol, fundraising, and where food will be sold, are examples of when insurance is required. The certificate of insurance must have an original signature covering the date of your event and must be presented to our office no later than 21 calendar days prior to your event. If it is not turned in on time you may be required to alter your event plans and/or cancel the event. If your insurance agent has any questions, please feel free to call the reservationist at 919-560-4355, ext. 27202.
Parking is not guaranteed at any location.
Plazas: All guest parking is allowed on the street or at the Durham Centre Parking Garage located at 300 W. Morgan Street. For more information on cost and reservations for the Durham Centre please contact Lanier Parking at (919) 680-2481.
Parks and Trails: Lots are available to all park-goers and are on a first come first serve basis.
Restrooms are not guaranteed at any location.
Plazas: Restroom facilities must be provided by the renter for guests attending events. There are no public restrooms accessible to the plazas.
Parks and Trails: Some parks are equipped with restroom facilities open to the public but can be closed at any time by the City of Durham.
Alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited except when permits and permissions to serve such beverages are obtained from Durham Parks and Recreation.
Alcoholic beverages are prohibited for events in honor of a minor. Alcohol is not permitted at events open to the public.
Events in which alcohol will be served are required to hire event security through the Durham Police Department. Renters are responsible for contacting the Durham Police Department to obtain information and to schedule officers for their event. Payment is due in cash, to the officer(s) at the beginning of the event. Renters should contact Officer Monte Sutherland at (919) 943-7370 to arrange security.
A certificate of liability insurance must be provided to Durham Parks and Recreation no later than 15 days prior to the event. The insurance must show general liability insurance with an alcohol/liquor rider for at least $1,000,000.00, naming the City of Durham as an additional insured. The certificate of insurance must have an original signature covering the date of your event. Insurance can be obtained from any insurance company. Example: wedsafe.com, Travelers Insurance, State Farm.