Durham Aquatic School
Durham Aquatic School (DAS)
DAS offers free lifeguard certification training for ages 16+, to prepare them for Aquatics jobs.
Students who successfully complete the DAS courses will be actively recruited to apply for lifeguard jobs at DPR’s indoor and outdoor pools.
General Program Information
Durham Parks and Recreation (DPR) is pleased to offer the Fall Edition of the 21st Annual “Durham Aquatic School” (DAS). The purpose of this program is to offer free lifeguard certification, but registration is required. The value of this training is $209. Students who successfully complete the DAS courses will be actively recruited to apply for lifeguard jobs at Durham Parks and Recreation’s indoor and outdoor pools! Applicants must be at least 16 years old (proof of age must be presented at the Pre-Course Swim Test).
This Fall, three separate DAS lifeguard training courses are being offered as part of DAS. The courses are being offered in the American Red Cross Blended Learning Format. Lifeguard candidates are required to register for DAS Pred-Course Testing. Lifeguard candidates whom successfully passing the Pre-Course will have 7 days to complete an online portion. Online learning is approximately 7-hours of course work REQUIRED to be completed prior to attending the first day of the in-person learning.
Please note there are no practice sessions for Fall DAS Pre-Course Testing. We encourage candidates to visit the pool and swim prior to their Pre-Course start date. Lap Swim is available at Edison Johnson Aquatics Center and Campus Hills Pool. City Resident Teens 16 to 18 can swim at facilities with no fee. City Resident Adults 19 and older will need to pay the $4 drop-in fee.
DAS Registration Deadlines
For September Course: Wednesday, September 1
For October Course: Wednesday, September 29
For November Course: Wednesday, October 27
- Register online by visiting dprplaymore.org and select “Register Online”
- Register in-person at any Durham Parks and Recreation Location:
- Indoor Pools are located at:
- Edison Johnson Aquatic Center at 500 West Murray Avenue, NC 27704
- Campus Hills Pool at 2000 South Alston Avenue, NC 27707
- Indoor Pools are located at:
- All registered participants will be contacted by e-mail and/or by phone within a week. If you are not contacted within this time frame, email Ashley Harris or call 919-560-4444.
Pre-Course Swim Test
To qualify for the Durham Aquatic School, candidates must successfully complete a pre-course swim test. Candidates MUST BRING government-issued proof of age to the pre-course swim test. The pre-course swim test requirements are as follows:
- Swim 300 yards continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. You may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke, or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for two minutes using only the legs. Hands should be placed under your armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds. (Swim goggles are not allowed.)
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Your face may be in or out of the water.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet and retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards back to return to the starting point, with both hands holding the object, while keeping your face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath. You should not swim the distance underwater. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
For a list of upcoming pre-course swim tests pick up a copy of the Play More Guide at any facility, the administration office, or view online. Pre-course swim test offerings are also searchable on our online registration site.
*If a student is unable to successfully complete the pre-course swim test, he/she will not be allowed to continue in the program. Students who pass the pre-course swim test will be placed in the program, based on space availability. Program slots will be filled in the order in which applications were received. Space is limited.
What to Bring to DAS
Please bring the following items with you to the pool:
- Government issues proof of age (required at the Pre-Course Swim Test)
- Swimsuit (preferably one-piece for females)
- One or two towels
- Lunch and drink (on full days of class)
- Padlock, to secure personal belongings
You should also consider bringing the following items (optional):
- Goggles and/or swim cap
- Deck shoes/flip flops
- Personal toiletry items
- Water Bottle
To receive certification as a lifeguard, participants must attend all classes, participate in all skill sessions/drills, and pass ALL written and skill tests. Students who successfully complete the course will receive an American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED, valid for two years.