Durham Senior Games SilverArts
- All SilverArts entries must be the original work of the artist. The work must be created after the artist is age 50, and must be completed within 2 years of the Local Games’ qualifying date.
- Previous SilverArts work will not be considered.
- You may enter up to 7 pieces, with a maximum of 2 entries per sub-category.
- Entries can be no heavier than 50 pounds.
- DSGSA has the right to refuse any or all art pieces that are deemed inappropriate.
- The artist’s name and title of entry should appear on the bottom or be attached to the back of all entries for identification
- See specific requirements below for details on each category.
- Entries must be the work of the individual and should not be a group effort.
- Entries must be original work. Patterns may be used, but no stamped pieces will be accepted.
- Pottery must be hand-built or thrown.
- Latch hook rugs and pieces from ceramic molds will not be accepted.
- Framed works can be no larger than 36” x 42,” including the matting and frame.
- Groupings (sets) shall have no more than three separate pieces per set. All objects within each piece of the set must be contained within or attached to one of the three pieces of the set.
- Heritage Arts piece entered at the State Finals must be the same piece that won during Local Games.
- All artwork, except sculpture, must be framed, securely wired, and ready to be hung (no serrated hooks or string). Artwork, except sculpture, not properly wired will not be displayed.
- Artwork, except sculpture, can be no larger than 35” x 42,” including matting and frame.
- Entries can be no heavier than 50 pounds.
- Sculpture groupings (sets) may have no more than 3 pieces per grouping (set)
- Freestanding entries must be able to be displayable in an area 3’ (W) x 3’ (L) x 5’ (H).
- The art piece must be an original work, not a print.
- If on-site assembly is required, details must be specified on the information form for prior approval.
- Visual Arts Piece entered at the State Finals must be the same piece that won during Local Games.
- All entries must be typed, double-spaced, on 8-1/2 x 11 size paper and have a minimum 1”- margins. The work must be a minimum font size of 10-point type.
- Poems can be no longer than 40 lines.
- Short stories, essays and life experiences can be no longer than 8 pages, typed and double spaced.
- All entries must have a title page, which includes title of work, sub-category and name of artist.
- The artist’s name should not appear on the content pages.
- The Heritage Arts piece entered at State Finals must be the same piece that won during the Local Games.
- Literary Arts Piece entered at the State Finals must be the same piece that won during Local Games.
Submission & Pick Up
- Visual and Heritage Arts entries must be submitted on Monday, May 2, 2022 between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. at the Durham Center for Senior Life located at 406 Rigsbee Avenue.
- Literary entries should be submitted with registration by Friday, March 18, 2022. No late entries will be accepted.
- Artwork MUST be picked up Monday May 9, 2022 after the SilverArts & Games Closing Ceremony or Tuesday, May 10, 2022 between 9 a.m. – 11 a.m. at Durham Center for Senior Life.
- Durham Senior Games & SilverArts will have no responsibility for artwork not retrieved by 11 a.m. on Tuesday, May 10, 2022. Artwork will be removed to an offsite location with no further responsibility for the safety or security of the artwork.
- Visual, Heritage, Literary, and Local Judging will be ongoing and closed to the public.
- Judges will not see identifying information on any SilverArts submissions.
Cheerleading and Performing Arts will be judged during The SilverArts & Games Opening Ceremony at Lyon Park Recreation Center on Monday, April 11, 2022. There will be an opportunity for individuals and groups to have a dress rehearsal at a scheduled time on Monday, April 11, 2022.
Winners in the Literary, Visual, Heritage, Local, Cheerleading, and Performing Arts categories will be presented awards at the SilverArts & Games Closing Ceremony on Monday, May 9, 2022 from 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
All artwork will be showcased at the Durham Center for Senior Life starting on Monday, May 2, 2022 at 2 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. on Monday, May 9, 2022 at the Durham Center for Senior Life located at 406 Rigsbee Avenue.