Durham Senior Games
2021 Durham Senior Games & SilverArts
April 26-May 18, 2021
This Olympic-style event is designed to create a year-round health promotion and competition for participants that are 50+ years old. Participants will compete in a wide range of events including heritage and visual arts, croquet, table tennis, basketball shooting, swimming, shuffleboard, pickleball, and more!
The Durham Senior Games and SilverArts (DSGSA) are coordinated by Durham Parks and Recreation in partnership with Humana, Durham Center for Senior Life, NC Cooperative Extension, and Durham Arts Council.
This program is sanctioned by North Carolina Senior Games, Inc. (NCSG) and is sponsored statewide by the North Carolina Division of Aging. It offers:
- A year-round wellness program for persons 50 years and better that began in 1983
- Opportunities for participating in sports, arts, and social activities
- A chance to make new friends and renew old friendships
As we continue dealing with COVID-19, there have been many changes to the 2021 DSGSA. The number of both athletic and artistic events, the format of SilverArts submissions, and a number of other necessary changes have been implemented. Our top priority is safety for our athletes, staff, and volunteers. It is important that we provide these games in a limited format, and we will look forward to returning to our full slate and scope in the years ahead.
Registration Dates & Entry Fees
Please note, registration fees do not include golf, which is an additional $24.
March 1-April 2, 2021
City Resident: $14 | Non-City Resident: $19
A discounted rate of 10% will be given to individuals with a Play More Card.
How to Register
Register online through our ActiveNet site beginning March 1, 2021.
- Please call (919) 560-4355 to make an appointment to register.
- Appointments will be held at the DPR Administration Office, 400 Cleveland Street
- Appointments can be made on Monday from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. or Tuesday-Friday from 8 a.m.-1 p.m.
To obtain a copy of the Official Entry Form, please email Bridgette Robinson. Checks can be made payable to: The City of Durham.
Attention: Durham Senior Games
Durham Parks and Recreation
101 City Hall Plaza
Durham, NC 27701
If you are mailing in a form, DSGSA must receive your postmarked Official Entry Form by 5 p.m. on Friday, April 2, 2021. The deadline is strictly enforced in fairness to all participants. Late entries will be returned if not postmarked by April 2, 2021. There are no exceptions.
Confirmation of registration will be sent out weekly beginning Monday, April 12, 2021. If you have not received your letter by Wednesday, April 21, 2021, please contact the DSGSA staff at 919-560-4355, ext. 27232.
DSGSA officials reserve the right to cancel any event or combine age groups due to insufficient registration. DSGSA also reserves the right to cancel any events due to COVID-19 guidelines and restrictions.
To participate in the DSGSA you must be 50 years of age or better on or before December 31, 2021. Proof of age may be required upon request. Participants must be Durham County residents for a minimum of 3 consecutive months of the year.
For sporting events, men and women compete in separate categories in age brackets 55-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80-84, 85-89, 90-94, 95-99, and 100+ based on age as of December 31, 2021. SilverArts competitors are not divided into categories based on age or gender.
Please visit the SilverArts page for eligibility details for Heritage Arts and Visual Arts.
Calendar of Events
*Individual event end times vary depending on participant group size and speed.
Please note: Due to safety and logistical concerns, we will not be offering all of the events as we have in past years.
- No events will be delayed for latecomers. Event start time is forfeit time and refunds will not be granted for no-shows or latecomers.
- The safety and sportsmanlike conduct of everyone is of paramount concern. DSGSA officials have the authority to disqualify, and/or remove from current and future DSGSA programs anyone who exhibits inappropriate behavior or a condition of medical concern.
- Every effort will be made to reduce the wait-times for participants in each individual event. With a large number of participants involved in the events, the exact time that a participant begins and completes an event is determined by how many people sign up for the event, the brackets (if applicable) as determined by age, and how long each participant takes to complete his/her/their event. Please be aware that you may be waiting for a while before you are called for your age group. Age groups are not always called in age order.
COVID-19 Safety Information
DPR is committed to maintaining a safe and clean environment for our staff, patrons, and the City of Durham at large. DSGSA activities have been modified to meet the requirements of the Center for Disease Control (CDC). Listed below are some of the safety precautions you can expect at each event.
- Sanitizing stations will be available at each event.
- Each participant will be asked to answer a Wellness questionnaire.
- Sporting events will be held during staggered times to limit the number of people and maintain smaller numbers.
- Staff will wear masks and gloves.
- Chairs will be at least six feet apart and people will be asked to stand at least six feet apart.
- Items that will be distributed to participants (visors, medals, etc.) will be packaged individually.
- Mask requirements will vary based on the activity. They will be required for participation in some of the activities.
- Medals are awarded to the first, second, and third place finalists by division for all events except the SilverStriders Fun Walk.
- Successful completion in sanctioned athletic events will qualify you to represent DSGSA at the NC Senior Games (NCSG) State Finals competition.
- For Visual and Heritage Arts, winning first, second, or third place will qualify you to represent the DSGSA at the State Finals.
- DSGSA will not release awards to anyone other than the winning participant.
- Persons who qualify for State Finals will receive their confirmation and NCSG registration info by June 15, 2021 in the mail. Persons wishing to compete at State Finals must submit their entry to NCSG by August 1, 2021.
DSGSA officials reserve the right to cancel or postpone events due to inclement weather or any unusual or extenuating circumstance. There will be no refunds for cancelled or postponed events. We have set rain dates for most events, and will make every effort to follow the established DSGSA schedule. Come prepared for all types of weather. Call 919-560-4636 #8 during the DSGSA for a recording of any schedule updates.