Durham Parks and Recreation offers a youth individual league for any players without a team. Youth Basketball Individual League is for youth ages 5-12 who want to compete in organized games against their peers. Each child will be placed on a team which is led by a volunteer coach. Returning players may elect to stay with their coach from last season or to enter the assessment process.
Please note that all participants, including spectators, will be held to the standards listed in our code of conduct.
For information for the Individual League, email Cathy Reagan or call 919-560-4355, ext. 27221
Weather cancellation information: 919-560-4636 Press 9
2023-2024 Youth Basketball Individual League
- Registration open September 1 - October 10
- Registration can be completed online or in person at the Durham Parks and Recreation Administration Office located at 400 Cleveland Street, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Age Groups: 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, 11-12
- Practices will begin November 13
- Your child's coach will contact you by November 6 regarding practice schedule and location
- Saturday Practices: Your coach may elect to hold practice(s) at an alternate location on one or more Saturdays during the season on dates in which we do not have games scheduled.
- Games will begin December 2
- You will be given your practice and game schedule at the first practice.
- Schedules will be posted online.
- Practices will be held one night per week at Walltown Park Recreation Center, Edison Johnson Recreation Center, the Community Family Life & Recreation Center at Lyon Park, I.R. Holmes Recreation Center and/or W.D. Hill Recreation Center.
- Your weekly practice time and location will remain consistent throughout the season.
- Most games are held on Saturdays at Edison Johnson Recreation Center, W.D. Hill Recreation Center, and Walltown Park Recreation Center (location and time will vary from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. start); your child may also play a few games on weeknights throughout the year.
- Weeks in which we schedule weeknight games we will not hold practices. The maximum time allotted for each team is two hours per week and will consist of either of the following: two practices, two games, one practice/one game. (9-10 or 11-12 year olds may play up to 3 games in a week during the postseason tournament).
This season all players must attend the pre-season player assessment with their group. Please review the following schedule:
- Age 5-6
- Last Name A-J - Monday, October 16 from 6 - 7 P.M. at the Community Family Life & Recreation Center at Lyon Park
- Last Name K-Z - Wednesday, October 18 from 6-7 P.M.at the Community Family Life & Recreation Center at Lyon Park
- Age 7-8
- Last Name A-G - Saturday, October 21 from 9 a.m. - 10 a.m. at Edison Johnson Recreation Center
- Last Name H-M- Saturday, October 21 from 10:15 a.m. - 11:15 a.m. at Edison Johnson Recreation Center
- Last Name N-Z - Saturday, October 21 from 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. at Edison Johnson Recreation Center
- Age 9-10
- Last Name A-J - Monday, October 23 from 6-7 pm at W.D. Hill Recreation Center
- Last Name K-Z - Tuesday, October 24 from 6-7 pm at Edison Johnson Recreation Center
- Age 11-12
- Last Name A-J -Wednesday, October 25 from 6-7 pm at W.D. Hill Recreation Center
- Last Name K-Z - Thursday, October 26 from 6-7 pm at Edison Johnson Recreation Center
Our assessment gives staff and coaches an opportunity to observe and document player’s ability levels by having them complete drills which showcase their skills. The environment is meant to be fun and low pressure with an emphasis on teaching fundamentals. Data from the assessment is utilized by staff in order to maintain the competitive balance of our leagues. When players skip the assessment is hurts the competitive balance of the league and reduces the level of fun for everyone. Thank you for participating in our assessment process. For questions, comments or concerns, please email Cathy Reagan or call 919-560-4355