Durham Parks and Recreation (DPR) coordinates a wide variety of sports for all ages. From volleyball to soccer, kickball to basketball, there are lots of opportunities to Play More with DPR.
Weather cancellation information: 919-560-4636, Press 4
Athletic Field Rentals
DPR offers rentals of ballfields, soccer fields, multipurpose fields, tennis courts, basketball courts, and futsal courts. Visit the Athletic Field Rental page for more information.
Athletic Field Community Open Play Days
DPR offers free Community Open Play Days on designated fields. The Community Open Play is designed to give free athletic field access to all individuals and families. Fields are available on a first-come, first-serve basis, and we ask that you limit play to 1 hour while others are waiting. Lights will automatically turn on from sunset until 9 p.m.
Athletic Field Community Open Play Days will be offered at the C.M. Herndon Park - Championship Artificial Turf Field through July 31, 2021. Visit our ActiveNet calendar for the current schedule.
Athletics Safety Precautions - COVID-19 Information
The Athletics Unit is excited to announce the resumption and start of several programs and leagues. As always our main goal is to provide our participants with a safe environment to play and have social experiences. During this time of concern with the COVID-19 pandemic there have been many discussions on how to make DPR Athletic programs and leagues safe yet fun for our participants. Please know that every consideration has been made with the best possible safety practices in place to protect our participants, their families, and staff.
Each athletic program or league that operates during the COVID-19 pandemic has undergone a thorough review and will have an accompanying safety and modification plan prior to operating. Program or league specific modifications will be shared with parents and participants prior to the first meeting date. In general, you can expect the following safety protocols to be in place for each program or league that we operate.
Athletics Safety Protocols and Modifications
- Socially distanced check-ins for youth programs and clinics
- Wellness screenings of all participants prior to each date of participation
- Separate areas for spectators and participants
- No shared equipment
- Daily cleaning and sanitizing of hard surfaces and equipment
- Hand sanitizers on-site (supervised programs and leagues)
- Each participant will have their own separate area for belongings
- Closure of bleachers and dugout areas
- All staff, instructors, and participants will follow social distancing requirements
Participants will not be permitted into or will be sent home from the Athletics Program if:
- Has a positive COVID-19 test
- Their wellness screening states they are not cleared to attend the program
- Complains of not feeling well along with visible signs of illness
- Develops noticeable symptoms during program hours
- Exhibits unsafe safety practices as required by the program
Participants who develop symptoms or show visible signs of illness during Program hours
- Participants and any family members will be sent home immediately; this includes family members showing no symptoms.
- Athletics’ staff will immediately consult with the Program Coordinator and Recreation Manager to determine the next steps. This may include:
- Closing the Program at the specified site for 48-72 hours to allow for proper disinfecting and cleaning of the Program area and facility.
- Closing for 14 days to follow the recommended isolation period
- Athletics Staff will communicate any Program updates or closures as soon as is possible and will maintain confidentiality as required.
DPR is always looking for volunteers. The following programs rely on volunteer assistance:
- Little Tykes Basketball
- Little Tykes Soccer
- Bitty Ball
- Youth Basketball
- DPR Tennis Academy
- Co-Ed Soccer Academy
- Durham Girls Soccer League
If you are interested in volunteering, please fill out the Volunteer Application Form and an Athletics staff member will be in touch.