Dog owners represent a large (and growing!) segment of the community. While regular leash walks provide a level of exercise that promotes good dog health, access to open space for off-leash play and socialization is equally important. DPR has 4 dog parks, which offer a safe and controlled environment for dogs and their owners.
- Downtown Durham Dog Park
- Northgate Dog Park
- PetSafe® Dog Park located at Duke Park
- Piney Wood Dog Park
- Rock Quarry Dog Park (Coming Soon - Under Construction)
Canine Recreation Special Events
Looking for fun activities to enjoy with your canine friend? Join us for a variety of events offered throughout the year including:
|Residency||Dog Park Fees|
|City Resident||$17 / first dog; $15 / each additional dog(s)|
|Non-City Resident||$22 / first dog; $20 / each additional dog(s)|
Dog Park Registration
All dogs must be registered with DPR annually. To ensure that we provide a healthy environment for all participants, we have adopted the vaccination requirements recommended by the American Animal Hospital Association. All dogs are required to have the following vaccinations before being issued a Dog Park tag:
- Rabies (1 or 3 year)
- Distemper / Parvo (1 or 3 year)
- Bordetella (1 year)
- Negative Fecal Exam Results (1 year)
We also accept titer results in lieu of vaccinations except for rabies (state law). Vaccinations must be current and not due to expire within 30 days.
When these requirements are met, a DPR dog park tag can be assigned. All dogs must wear their current dog park tag while playing in the park.
Online Registration Instructions
Dog Park tags will be mailed within 7 business days when registering online.
- Register and pay online.
- Seats = Dogs; If you are registering more than one dog, please update the number under "How many seats do you need?"
- To take advantage of the multi-dog discount, enter one of the following coupon codes: 2dogs, 3dogs, 4dogs, 5dogs
- Email vaccination records.
- Complete liability waiver.
Need additional assistance with online registration? Email us or call 919-560-4355 during normal business hours.
Mail-In Registration Instructions
When registering by mail, send your dog’s vaccination records, liability waiver, and payment by check made out to "City of Durham"
Durham Parks and Recreation
Attention: Dog Parks
101 City Hall Plaza
Durham, NC 27701
In-Person Registration Instructions
Registration is available in-person at the Durham Parks and Recreation Administration Office, 400 Cleveland Street, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Dog Park Rules
- Dogs using the park must be licensed and meet all health requirements; entry into the park is only allowed for dogs with Dog Park I.D. and rabies tags.
- Dogs are not allowed into the park if they are younger than 3 months, in heat, sick, or routinely aggressive.
- Owners are responsible for any damage or injury caused by their dogs while in the park.
- No prong, spike, or electric collars allowed.
- Owners are required to clean up after their dogs, inside and outside the fenced area.
- No other animals allowed inside the dog park fenced area.
- Dogs must be under the control (voice or leash) of their owners at all times.
- Any dog behaving aggressively must be immediately controlled or removed from the park.
- No more than 3 dogs per person at any one time.
- Children under 12 years old must be supervised by an adult.
- Spectators should remain outside the fenced dog park area.
- No large dogs in the small dog area; no small dogs in the large dog area.
- Eating is not allowed within the fenced dog park area. Smoking included e-cigarettes is not allowed on any City park property.
- Dog food in bowls, long‐lasting chews, and glass containers are not allowed within the fenced dog park area.
- Owners must repair holes or disturbed areas created by their dogs.
- Dog bites must be reported; owners should exchange contact information and call the Durham County Animal Control 919-560-0630 and DPR 919-560-4355.
- Dog Park users must immediately leave the fenced dog park area when requested to do so by park or law enforcement personnel.
- Professional dog trainers may not use the park to conduct their business.
- Bicycles, rollerblades, skates, skateboards, and strollers are prohibited within the fenced dog park area.
- All Durham County and North Carolina animal ordinances apply within the Dog Park
For information, email the Durham Dog Parks or call 919-560-4355, ext. 27212.
Dog Park Project Updates
Over the past several years, we have been working to provide better opportunities to our canine residents to Play More! Here are some updates on dog park projects.
Downtown Durham Dog Park
The Downtown Durham Dog Park will close for monthly maintenance on the first Tuesday of each month. It will reopen by 9 a.m. the following day.
Northgate Dog Park
The condition of Northgate Dog Park has deteriorated due to its location in a flood plain, high use, and poor drainage. After researching options to address these issues, it was determined that an alternative dog park in Northern Durham be developed at Rock Quarry Park. Once the dog park at Rock Quarry Park opens, Northgate Dog Park will be converted into a play meadow (open recreational space).
Rock Quarry Dog Park
Construction has begun on a new dog park at Rock Quarry Park, 701 Stadium Drive, and will serve as the replacement for the Northgate Dog Park. The dog park is located along the Rock Quarry Spur Trail in the large wooded area along the east side of the trail. The Rock Quarry Spur Trail runs from the parking lot at Edison Johnson Recreation and Aquatic Centers to the parking lot on the north side of the park for the tennis courts. Construction is expected to be completed in late Fall 2022.
For dog park questions email Durham Dog Parks or call 919-560-4355, ext. 27212. If you are visiting a dog park and have safety concerns, please report them by calling 911.